Los Angeles CA Catastrophic Injuries Attorney
Whether you suffered serious injuries in a car accident or were exposed to hazardous chemicals, our trusted Los Angeles CA catastrophic injuries attorneys at Conlogue Law LLP will work aggressively to hold the negligent parties responsible. While many accidents have little or no long-term effects, the effects of catastrophic injuries can last a lifetime. These injuries can lead to lifelong pain, enormous medical expenses, loss of livelihood, and many other consequences.
If you have been catastrophically injured, our credible California personal injury lawyers have the knowledge, resources, and experience you need to get the care and compensation you deserve. Contact us now and schedule an initial consultation to learn more about your legal options.
Why Do I Need a Catastrophic Injuries Attorney in California?
People often suffer catastrophic injuries following motorcycle accidents, vehicle accidents, and construction accidents. From rigorous medical treatments to lengthy hospitalizations, catastrophically-injured victims and their families must adjust to a new way of life marred by pain, long-term disabilities, and inconvenience.
If you’ve suffered an injury so severe as to be described as catastrophic, you must get the medical and legal help you need as quickly as possible. You are entitled to compensation from the at-fault party but recovering fair compensation for a life-changing injury can be challenging. You will need a competent Los Angeles catastrophic injury attorney who can fight for you.
At Conlogue Law LLP, we can:
- Review the facts of your case and determine whether negligence was involved
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your personal injury case, arrange access and transportation to medical care, and handle all insurance-related paperwork and negotiations.
- Discuss all available legal options for your catastrophic injury claim to help you obtain the maximum compensation to recover from a catastrophic injury, whether you were paralyzed, disabled, or severely injured from an accident.
- Provide an estimate for how much your catastrophic injury claim/lawsuit may be worth and how long your catastrophic injury lawsuit might take to settle
- represent clients in Los Angeles in various personal injury matters, police misconduct cases, maritime injury claims, and commercial disputes.
Our personal injury law firm is committed to helping accident victims obtain compensation to cover hospital bills, lost wages, and future medical needs. Our legal team has the experience it takes to handle cases involving catastrophic injuries. Contact us now and schedule an initial consultation with our qualified California personal injury attorney to discuss your case.
What Is Considered a Catastrophic Injury?
The term catastrophic injury encompasses a wide range of life-changing medical conditions. Depending on your employment, lifestyle, and hobbies, the catastrophic injury definition can be quite broad. When defining catastrophic injuries, you must take into consideration the physical, mental and emotional costs and consequences of the injuries. If you or a loved one sustain a catastrophic injury because of someone else’s negligence, our top-ranking Los Angeles CA catastrophic injuries attorney can help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
Catastrophic injuries are generally defined as permanent or long-term impairment or loss of use of an organ or limb, or an inability to perform daily activities and gainful work. Victims often require years of medical treatment and long-term care. When people sustain catastrophic injuries, their new normal must integrate daily living with ongoing medical care, therapeutic maintenance, family assistance, and a serious financial commitment.
Some injuries that are commonly considered catastrophic include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Facial injuries
- Severe burn injuries
- Crushed bones
- Paralysis (tetraplegia, paraplegia, and triplegia)
- Loss of sight or hearing
- Internal organ damage
- Injuries that result in significant scarring
- Injuries requiring long-term medical care
What Causes a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries can arise in many different scenarios in California. These types of injuries frequently occur abruptly and without warning. Our skilled Los Angeles CA catastrophic injury lawyer can negotiate cases involving all top causes of catastrophic injuries.
Often the result of another party’s negligence or recklessness, the common causes of catastrophic injuries are:
- Pedestrian or bicycle accident
- Commercial truck accident
- Metro-transit accident
- Car accident
- Workplace disaster
- Physical abuse or violent crime
- Fall accident
- Fire or explosion
- Construction accident
- Dog attack
- Medical malpractice
- Sports accident
- Premises liability accident
- Exposure to a toxic substance
- Defective product incident
What are the Long-Term Effects of Catastrophic Injuries?
Injuries are classified as catastrophic when they have lasting or permanent effects on the victim. Catastrophic injuries sustained due to car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, bicycle accidents, and more can lead to countless long-term adverse effects. These types of injuries change a victim’s life, making it difficult or impossible to resume normal activities.
If you suffered catastrophic injuries, it’s important to identify all of the long-term consequences of your injury before accepting any settlement offer. The compensation you receive will be directly tied to these losses. Our credible Los Angeles CA catastrophic injuries lawyer can help you understand the common long-term catastrophic injury effects, including:
- Financial Struggles. The financial impact of a catastrophic injury is immense. Some accident victims face multiple millions of dollars in medical bills alone over their lifetimes. This is why it is critical to have everything you need to take care of yourself or your family member by obtaining fair financial compensation for your catastrophic injury.
- Reduced Quality of Life. A catastrophic injury prevents an individual from enjoying everyday life. Due to physical changes, mental changes, or the inability to resume ordinary life, a victim may experience chronic depression, low self-esteem, or anxiety.
- Physical Disability. A catastrophic injury may cause permanent physical harm to a victim, ultimately changing the victim’s quality of life. A catastrophic accident survivor may have to live with a permanent disability, such as losing a limb or paralysis. If your injury results in a lifelong disability, you will be eligible for lifetime payments based on your age, level of injury, pre-disability pay, and occupation.
- Mental Incapacity. Catastrophic injuries could also inflict a mental disability, including a birth injury that causes brain damage or a traumatic brain injury in an accident. Mental incapacity can alter the way the victim talks, thinks, acts, and moves.
- Employment Problems. In most cases, catastrophic injuries may require the victim to take a job with reduced responsibilities and reduced pay or take a victim out of the workforce. Although this may qualify the individual for workers’ comp and disability, these benefits may not be enough. Given that some catastrophic injury victims may not be able to work again, the lost income and mounting medical expenses can be an overwhelming burden.
Who Can Be Found Liable for Catastrophic Injuries?
Under California’s comparative negligence laws and statutes, there may be more than one party liable for a catastrophic injury. Several parties may share responsibility when negligent or reckless actions are committed. In this situation, it’s crucial to work with our competent Los Angeles CA catastrophic injuries attorney who can help you determine who is legally responsible for a catastrophic injury.
- Drivers. Because catastrophic injuries commonly occur during motor vehicle accidents, the other driver (or drivers) involved may be negligent.
- Vehicle Owners. Before letting your friend borrow your car, you must think twice. As the vehicle’s owner, if your friend gets into an accident, you may still be found liable in a catastrophic injury case.
- Landowners or Tenants. Slip and fall or premises liability claims often arise from the negligent actions of landlords, tenants, or homeowners.
- Manufacturers. Any company responsible for the retailing, manufacturing, and transporting of a defective product that causes catastrophic injuries may ultimately be found responsible.
- Employers. If a victim is injured by an employee who was on the clock, their employer may have contributed to the circumstances leading to the catastrophic injuries.
What Compensation Is Available to Catastrophic Injury Survivors?
The amount of financial compensation and damages available for your catastrophic injuries will depend on the circumstances of the case and your losses. Compensation is calculated based on the extent of the damage inflicted on the victim, including the severity of the injury and the cost of required care. The victim’s psychological counseling, emotional anguish, and lost enjoyment of life will also be taken into account.
Our trusted Los Angeles CA catastrophic injury lawyer can help you negotiate maximum financial compensation for all your past and future related losses.
- Past and Future Medical Expenses. With a catastrophic injury, you may look at a lifetime of medical needs. It tends to require ongoing medical care, which may need to address secondary health concerns that stem from the original injury. As the victim, you could recover the medical treatment costs related to your catastrophic injury.
- Pain and Suffering. The emotional component of a catastrophic injury can be devastating. The physical and emotional pain and suffering you endure can have lasting consequences that should not be overlooked.
- This type of compensation could help cover the following:
- psychological trauma
- emotional distress
- mental anguish
- diminished enjoyment of life
- loss of consortium
- lost quality of life
- Out-of-Pocket Costs. If the catastrophic accident led to out-of-pocket costs including court filing costs, legal fees, travel expenses, property repairs, or health care deductibles, you can list these expenses as part of your personal injury lawsuit.
- Property Repairs. If the accident that gave you a catastrophic injury also damaged your vehicle or any property, the at-fault party may owe you compensation for property repairs or replacement.
- Lost Wages. A catastrophic injury can mean an abrupt halt to your career, but even if you can continue working, you can expect a lengthy hiatus and a significant loss in earnings. Hence, victims of catastrophic injuries could recoup the costs of wages lost from missing time at work, as well as foreseeable future lost earnings if a disability prevents them from returning to their jobs.
- Punitive Damages. Punitive damages are more common in catastrophic injury cases than ordinary injury claims. A judge may grant a punitive damage award to punish a defendant for recklessness, gross negligence, intent to harm, or maliciousness.
Call Our Seasoned Los Angeles CA Catastrophic Injuries Attorney Now!
A catastrophic injury drastically alters the victim’s life. While no one should ever have to endure such a traumatic experience, we can assure you don’t have to go through this alone. Given the complexities of proving a catastrophic injury case, working with our experienced Los Angeles CA catastrophic injuries attorneys at Conlogue Law LLP is essential to protect your rights.
Our personal injury and civil rights law firm understands the immeasurable suffering that can be brought on following a traumatic life-changing injury. We focus on recovering the maximum compensation on your behalf, whether through settlement or at trial. We will handle every aspect of your personal injury claim from start to finish so you can focus on getting the treatment you need. We have the proven results you need for peace of mind throughout every step of the catastrophic injury claims process. We won’t settle for anything less than a maximum financial damages payout for your catastrophic injury lawsuit.
After a catastrophic injury, let us help you get your life back. Contact our law office now and schedule an initial consultation with our California personal injury lawyers to get the care you need and the compensation you deserve.