Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer
Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) among victims of all ages. Sadly, slip and fall accidents are also the leading cause of death among Americans aged 65 and older.
Even though slip and fall accidents are common, insurance companies will frequently attempt to pay you less than you are entitled to. They may even attempt to blame you for the slip and fall and completely deny your claim. And if your accident occurred in a big-box retailer, their corporate strategy is frequently to ignore you in the hope that you will go away.
Our qualified Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer at Conlogue Law LLP has years of experience handling slip and fall claims. Know that we are here to help you move forward with your claim if you have been injured. Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about slip and fall accidents.
Why Do I Need a Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer in California?
Working with our skilled Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer to file a claim is your best chance of obtaining compensation and holding liable parties accountable for their actions. Oftentimes, slip and fall accidents result in severe injuries that require years of rehabilitation, not to mention emotional trauma.
Contact our California slip and fall law firm to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. These cases are frequently complex. Our knowledgeable Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer can assist you in navigating the legal system, whether your injuries were sustained in a workplace accident or as a result of wrongful death.
If you lack medical insurance, contacting our personal injury attorneys immediately will ensure that you are adequately represented after an accident. So that you can focus on your recovery and rehabilitation from injury, the firm handles all negotiations on your behalf. Our competent personal injury lawyers handle all discussions with insurance companies, adjusters, and their legal consultants, keeping your best interests in mind at all times.
If you wish to consult with a legal advisor, our Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer will answer any questions you may have. Your questions and concerns regarding the legal process and your right to compensation will be addressed so that you have a complete understanding of your case. If necessary, travel to your home or a temporary medical facility is possible.
If you or someone you know has been injured by a slip or fall caused by someone else’s negligence, please contact us at Conlogue Law LLP as soon as possible.
What Constitutes a Slip and Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident occurs when a person slips or trips on a hazard, falls, and frequently sustains injuries. A slip and fall is a personal injury case in civil law in which someone is injured on the property of another. The purpose of this type of premises liability claim is to hold the property owner legally liable for the fall.
If you have a valid claim for a slip and fall accident in Los Angeles, the property owner or another party is responsible for your injuries and losses. Slip and fall accident claims are typically premised on the fact that the property owner owed the victim a duty of care and breached this duty by failing to keep the premises safe.
Under California law, only invitees and licensees are owed duties of care by property owners. Invitees and licensees are individuals who have explicit or implicit permission to enter a property, such as customers of a business. If the victim were trespassing at the time of the accident, the property owner would not be liable for damages, as property owners owe trespassers no duty of care.
Consultation with our skilled slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, CA is the simplest way to determine whether or not you have grounds for a slip and fall accident claim.
What Kinds of Hazardous Property Conditions Frequently Serve as the Basis for a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
Our slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, CA at Conlogue Law LLP frequently handles cases involving the following hazardous property conditions:
- Uneven, broken, or cracked pavement, cobblestones, or sidewalks
- Slippery or wet or pavement, cobblestones, or sidewalks
- Unmarked potholes or open grates on a sidewalk
- Steep, sloping driveways
- Poor lighting
- Obstructed retail aisles
- Slippery or wet floors caused by precipitation, ice, snow, or the leakage of oil, grease, water, or other liquids
- Produce and other food items fell to the ground in supermarkets and convenience stores
- Uneven or restricted stairways or steps
- Absent or insufficient handrails
- Unstable balconies or handrails
- Damaged carpeting and flooring modifications
- Unseen or concealed curbs, barriers, or potholes
- Exposed root systems
- Wires and cables on the ground
- Low-hanging wires or cord
- Construction-related dangers on roads, bridges, sidewalks, and walkways, such as falling debris
What Are the Most Common Injuries Caused by Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall injuries can range in severity from minor to severe to permanent and debilitating. Slip and fall accidents frequently occur with little to no warning, possessing the ability to alter your life in an instant, thereby causing significant suffering. Here are the most frequent slip and fall injuries observed by our Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer at Conlogue Law LLP.
- Fractures. Slips and falls frequently result in fractures nearly everywhere on the body. Some fractures are minor, whereas others may necessitate external or internal fixation and surgery. Additionally, fractures can cause damage to the surrounding tissues, resulting in chronic pain. If you experience severe pain in a bone or joint, or if you observe swelling or bleeding, you should seek medical attention immediately.
- Soft Tissue Injuries. Occasionally, individuals who slip and fall feel fine afterward. However, not all injuries, such as ligament tears and sprains, manifest symptoms. If these injuries are not treated, they can lead to chronic pain. After a fall, you may not experience symptoms for some time, making it all the more crucial that you receive a medical examination.
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI). Slips and falls can result in spinal cord injuries. These are life-threatening injuries that necessitate immediate medical attention. Severe SCIs can result in paralysis and require costly and lengthy treatment. SCI-injured individuals should contact our talented Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer as soon as possible. You must pursue the maximum amount of compensation permitted by law to cover all of your expenses. We have a history of obtaining numerous settlements for our clients who have suffered the most severe injuries.
- Head Traumas. If you fell and hit your head, you must seek medical attention immediately. Even if you feel fine and don’t notice any obvious injuries, you could have a mild concussion or a severe brain injury. Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) can have grave health consequences. It does not follow that you have not sustained a severe injury simply because the symptoms are not readily apparent. Typical symptoms of a concussion include:
- difficulty in reasoning
- unevenness of balance
- feeling sluggish or groggy
- nausea or vomiting
- Wounds and Abrasions. In slip and fall accidents, the most common injuries are cuts and bruises. Despite the superficial appearance, some cuts can be so deep that they require stitches. Some could result in permanent scarring.
What You Should Do Following a Slip and Fall Accident?
At Conlogue Law LLP, your safety and well-being are our top priority. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, seek medical attention immediately. Whenever possible, you should also:
- Report the incident to the store manager or property owner.
- Take photographs of the area where you fell and any factors that may have contributed to it. Boxes blocking an aisle or a lack of signage near a spill are examples of obstructions.
- Check to see if anyone saw your fall. Obtain their names, telephone numbers, and addresses.
- Obtain the name and position of any employee with whom you speak.
- If asked to complete an accident report, you should comply. It is best to record all the information while it is still fresh in your mind. Request a copy of it.
- Check for the presence of cameras. Most retailers carry them.
- Do not speak with any insurance company representatives or property or business representatives. Moreover, do not permit yourself to be recorded. No law requires that you allow an insurance adjuster to record you.
- Keep all medical records, expense receipts, and the clothing and footwear you were wearing at the time of the accident in a secure location. This is all evidence for your slip and fall claim.
- Keep your accident details off of all social media platforms. Do not share anything about it on your social media accounts. Even something you may perceive as trivial can harm your case.
- Contact a slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, CA immediately.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, contact Conlogue Law LLP immediately for a free case evaluation. Our firm has years of experience helping slip and fall victims obtain the best medical care and maximum financial compensation, and we can help you as well. Dial now.
Who Can Be Held Legally Responsible for Your Slip and Fall Accident?
However, property owners must maintain their properties with care. While there is no precise way to determine when someone else is legally responsible for something that causes you to slip or trip, cases hinge on whether the property owner took precautions to prevent slipping or tripping and whether you were negligent in failing to see or avoid the object that caused you to fall.
Here are some general guidelines to help you determine whether another party was responsible for your slip and fall injury. Slipping or tripping and falling on a wet floor, defective stairs, or a rough patch of ground annually injures tens of thousands of people, some quite severely.
Sometimes the property owner is liable for the accident, and other times they are not. Consider that it is a normal part of life for things to fall or drip onto a floor or the ground and for smooth surfaces to become uneven if you have been injured in this manner. Also, some things placed in the ground, such as drainage grates, serve a purpose there.
Therefore, a property owner (or occupant) cannot always be held responsible for immediately removing or cleaning every slick substance on the floor. Also, a property owner is not always liable for someone slipping or tripping on an object that a reasonable person would expect to find or avoid. Everyone has a responsibility to watch their surroundings.
What If a City, County, or Other Public Agency is Responsible for My Slip and Fall Accident?
You are entitled to compensation even if a public agency or government entity is responsible for your slip and fall injuries. Cities, counties, and other government entities are required to maintain their property, including facilities, parks and playgrounds, streets and roadways, bushes, trees, and landscaping, in a safe condition. Public agencies may consist of:
- Public transit
- Public universities and colleges
- Public schools
- Water and sanitation districts
- Fire and police departments
- Public hospitals
- State entities
Suppose a government entity or agency fails to keep its property free of hazards, resulting in a serious injury. In such a scenario, they may be at fault or legally liable and obligated to pay damages. Two essential points regarding slip and fall claims against the government:
The California statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against a public agency is extremely short. If you are injured on public property, contact our accomplished Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer immediately. Individuals who fail to file a claim within six months of sustaining a slip and fall injury risk losing their right to compensation. Numerous cities and counties in California have ordinances requiring property owners to keep sidewalks in a safe condition. If the adjoining landowner is a public entity, they have to ensure its safety.
How Can I Prove Negligence for My Slip and Fall Accident?
Before receiving compensation for a slip and fall accident, you or your attorney must establish the defendant’s negligence. Typically, this involves demonstrating his or her negligence. Negligence is a legal doctrine that describes the failure of a person or entity to adhere to the appropriate standards of care.
Negligence in a slip and fall claim refers to the failure of a property owner or maintenance worker to inspect a property for hazards or the disregard of a known defect. The burden of proof lies with the injured party in a slip and fall claim. It is not uncommon for property managers and their insurance companies to argue that slip and fall accident victims are partially or entirely at fault.
Using clear and convincing evidence, you or your slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, CA must establish the defendant’s negligence in causing or contributing to your accident. As with all premises liability cases in California, a successful slip and fall lawsuit requires proof of the following five essential elements:
- The defendant was the property’s owner or controller at the time of the incident.
- The defendant was aware or should have been aware of the hazardous condition.
- The defendant failed to remedy or warn visitors of the hazardous condition due to negligence.
- The victim sustained injuries because of the hazardous condition.
- The victim suffered compensable losses.
The second element is, on average, the most difficult to prove. You or your personal injury attorney must have proof that the owner or occupant of the property created the hazardous condition, knew it existed, or that it existed for a sufficient length of time for a reasonable person to discover it.
This may require evidence such as surveillance footage, photographs, previous accident reports, complaints from other guests, cleaning or maintenance logs, as well as a witness or expert testimony.
What Recoverable Damages Can Be Obtained Following a Slip and Fall Accident?
In a lawsuit against the negligent property owner for a slip and fall accident, it is possible to obtain compensation for the following:
- Physical pain and suffering in the past and future, mental anguish, and physical disability
- Past and future medical bills, hospital, and miscellaneous expenses
- Previous and future lost wages and earning potential
- In instances of outrageous or egregious wrongdoing, punitive damages may be awarded
If you were partially responsible for the fall, you might still be able to recover damages from the property owner, but your award will be reduced. If a person has died as a result of a slip and fall accident, a spouse, children, or other family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit.
The family can seek compensation for the loss of the decedent’s love, companionship, and affection, as well as financial support (salary and wages) and hospital, funeral, and burial expenses.
What is the California Slip and Fall Statute of Limitations?
You should not wait too long to seek legal counsel and file a personal injury claim in California following a slip and fall accident. California’s statute of limitations allows you no more than two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you miss this two-year deadline, you will forever lose the right to seek compensation, with few exceptions.
Note, however, that certain circumstances, such as if the victim is a minor, will extend the deadline. Act immediately to protect your legal rights and schedule a free consultation with our knowledgeable Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer.
How Can Our Seasoned Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Help?
Recognizing that being injured in a slip and fall accident can be an overwhelming physical, emotional, and financial burden, we will help to lighten the load by providing you with effective representation and compassionate, efficient service. Our legal team will handle every aspect of your claim, such as:
- Investigating the premises exhaustively
- Collecting evidence, identifying witnesses, and conducting interviews
- Obtaining injury-documenting medical records
- Accepting responsibility for communications with the insurance company and opposing counsel
- Attempting to reach a favorable agreement
- If necessary, filing a premises liability lawsuit
You must contact us immediately so we can get to work. To reduce his or her liability, the property owner may attempt to remedy the hazard before evidence can be collected. Our skilled Los Angeles slip and fall accidents lawyer understands how to hold property owners liable for injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents and will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Speak With Our Seasoned Los Angeles Slip and Fall Accidents Lawyer Today
Accidents involving slipping and falling can cause significant physical, mental, and emotional harm to you and your family. You must retain a slip and fall lawyer in Los Angeles, CA who will take the time to get to know you and the circumstances surrounding your fall, and who is familiar with your potential compensation options.
Our Los Angeles slip and fall accidents attorney understands the value of your case as well as the insurance adjusters. By utilizing this knowledge, many of our slip and fall cases are settled out of court, allowing our clients to receive the compensation they deserve. With years of experience, we have successfully recovered numerous settlements for past personal injury clients.
In the unlikely event of a trial, our competent litigation team will present your case to the jury at your side. We have clients throughout California, including Los Angeles. Contact our California personal injury attorneys at Conlogue Law LLP immediately if you’re prepared to take a stand and fight to protect your rights. Call our law office or fill out the online form to receive a free review of your slip and fall case.