Los Angeles Truck Accidents Attorney
If you or a family member were injured in a truck accident, you have the right to seek compensation. It is necessary to hold negligent parties accountable. Even though trucking companies and their drivers are adequately insured, you may receive less than a full and fair financial recovery if you go up against them alone.
Our qualified Los Angeles truck accidents attorney at Conlogue Law LLP can assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve following a collision with a large truck. Our personal injury law firm has assisted countless individuals and families in obtaining compensation for catastrophic injuries or wrongful death.
We have been in business for years as a result of our commitment to serving our clients and pursuing the best possible outcome for their cases. We serve clients throughout the state of California and the greater Los Angeles region.
Why Do I Need a Truck Accidents Attorney in California?
Today, truck accidents are becoming more frequent. Every day, we hear about people who have been killed in automobile or truck accidents. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you need the assistance of our versed Los Angeles truck accidents attorney. In an accident involving a commercial truck, multiple liable parties are involved.
You require the assistance of an attorney who can handle every aspect of your claim and act in your best interest. Listed below are several reasons why you need our competent truck accident attorney to obtain complete justice.
- Find All Liable Parties. In any Los Angeles truck accident, it is difficult to determine who is responsible for compensating the injured party. The parties liable for your injuries may include the driver, the trucking company, the manufacturer of the truck, or the government. Our skilled Los Angeles truck accidents attorney will assist you in identifying all responsible parties and ensure that you receive compensation within the allotted time frame.
- Carryout Complicated Negotiations. If multiple parties are responsible for your collision, you will have to fight each of them concurrently to receive compensation. Moreover, you will need to hire a skilled truck accident lawyer with the necessary experience to handle multi-defendant cases. Ensure that your attorney makes every effort to maximize the value of your case.
- Provide Appropriate Legal Strategy. As a crash victim, you may not be aware of the optimal legal strategy for preparing your case for trial. Professionally analyzing your case, locating the necessary evidence and expert witnesses, and devising the best course of legal action to ensure you receive all the compensation you deserve are services we can provide.
- Ensure That Comparative Fault Laws Are Correctly Applied. California, like other states, has a comparative fault law that affects the amount of compensation you can recover for a personal injury. If your degree of fault does not exceed 50 percent, you are entitled to compensation. With the assistance of our Los Angeles CA truck accidents attorney, you can construct a compelling case to ensure that the law is applied fairly.
- Facilitate the Legal Procedure. Undoubtedly, the legal process can be complex and intimidating. In this situation, our truck accident attorney can negotiate with the trucking company and its insurer to alleviate your stress. Regarding the case and its resolution, our law office can provide superior guidance.
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident in California, our highly qualified and devoted Los Angeles truck accidents attorney is prepared to assist you immediately.
What Are the Leading Causes of Truck Accidents in California?
Identifying the reason for your truck accident is crucial to your claim. When appropriate, our law firm utilizes its considerable resources to investigate truck accidents and determine whether the truck driver, trucking company, or truck manufacturer was negligent.
We endeavor to hold the trucking industry fully accountable for negligent acts and regulatory violations, not only to obtain full compensation for our clients but also to improve safety and prevent future harm to other drivers. While each accident is unique, the following are common causes of trucking accidents:
- Failing to follow traffic laws (speeding, failing to yield, running red lights, etc.)
- Truck driver fatigue
- Aggressive driving
- Violation of inspection and maintenance regulations
- Driving while impaired by illegal drugs or alcohol
- Infractions to the “hours of service” regulations
- Improper cargo loading
- Negligent hiring and management
- Faulty truck parts
What Types of Injuries Typically Occur in Truck Accidents?
- Brain and Head Injuries. These are among the most catastrophic injuries. Brain injury can hinder a victim’s ability to work, engage in hobbies, or simply spend time with loved ones. Although these losses are intangible, they are nonetheless very real. The law mandates that negligent drivers or their insurance companies compensate victims for these damages.
- Back and Neck Injuries. These wounds range from severe to mild and are either permanent or temporary. An injury to the neck could cause permanent paralysis. Whiplash is a painful but temporary condition that could result from a mild neck injury.
- Internal Injuries. These also vary in terms of severity. A minor liver or kidney contusion could heal on its own. A severe laceration (cut) of a vital organ may necessitate emergency surgery to save the victim’s life.
- Fractures. Fractures can be extremely painful and cause significant long-term complications.
- Lacerations. Serious lacerations can leave victims with permanent scars, require surgical intervention, and cause other serious complications.
- Wrongful Death. The most severe injuries sustained in a truck accident can be fatal. In this instance, the legal heirs of the victim have the right to file a wrongful death claim against the truck driver, transit company, and any other liable parties.
What Should You Do Following a Truck Accident?
Any accident is traumatic, but being struck by a truck can have life-altering consequences. If you are injured as a result of a truck accident, the following actions should be taken if possible:
- Get out of danger immediately, but only if doing so is safe.
- Please dial 911 immediately.
- Demand or seek medical treatment.
- Collect contact information for witnesses, as well as the driver’s and trucking company’s names.
- Take photographs of your injuries and those of others. Also photograph the damage to all involved vehicles, the truck, and the accident scene, including any traffic signals and street signs.
- Do not provide any statements or sign any documents provided by a trucking company or insurance agent. And don’t apologize. Apologizing to anyone will be used as evidence that you caused the accident.
- Keep all medical bills and receipts related to the accident in a secure location. These will be used by your personal injury attorney to calculate a portion of the damages (financial compensation) to which you are entitled.
- Immediately retain the services of a renowned Los Angeles truck accidents attorney.
It is crucial to stick to these guidelines immediately following a truck accident to protect your legal rights as a truck accident victim.
Who Can Be Held Legally Liable for Your Truck Accident Injuries?
After any major accident, the first question that may arise is who was at fault. You may have suffered serious or catastrophic injuries, or your vehicle may have been destroyed. After a collision with a large commercial truck, several parties may be responsible for paying for your damages.
Conlogue Law LLP can help you identify the defendant(s) in your case. Determining who is at fault can be more difficult than you might expect.
The Driver of the Truck
On the road, truck drivers can make poor decisions that result in the injuries and deaths of others. Society is endangered by distracted, intoxicated, drowsy, incompetent, careless, and reckless truck drivers. According to a study conducted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the driver was responsible for 87% of trucking accidents.
38% of these accidents were caused by poor driver decisions, 28% by a lack of driver recognition, 12% by non-performance, and 9% by performance.
The Trucking Firm
Sometimes the defendant is the company itself. This could be the case if the accident were caused by fleet maintenance, inadequate driver training, or negligent hiring or retention practices. Trucking companies are responsible for maintaining safe fleets and providing workers with adequate training.
The victim(s) may be able to sue the trucking company or fleet manager if the courts determine that a lack of training contributed to the crash.
A Third Party
Several third parties may play a role in truck accident cases in California. They consist of other motorists, road maintenance crews, and vehicle manufacturers. If the accident was caused by another driver, you may file a claim with his or her insurance company.
Can I Still File a Claim If I Partially Caused My Truck Accident Injuries?
Yes, in some instances you may still be able to file a truck accident claim for a truck accident even if you contributed to the accident with your negligence. However, this will depend on the state in which your accident occurs, and your compensation may be reduced based on your degree of fault.
In California, for instance, your claim will be evaluated according to the principle of “comparative negligence,” which means that if you are found to be 30% at fault for the accident, you will only be eligible for up to 70% of the total compensation.
Due to the complexity of truck accidents, it is important to review all the details with an accomplished Los Angeles CA truck accidents attorney who can help you understand the role of negligence in your collision.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover for My Truck Accident Injuries?
Most truck accident victims are left with incapacitating, life-altering injuries that will necessitate substantial financial resources throughout their lifetime. In addition to medical expenses and hospital bills, plaintiffs will likely need compensation for lost wages, future medical costs, and other financial losses resulting from the truck crash.
In a truck accident lawsuit, you may be able to seek the following types of compensation:
- Medical bills and expenses (hospitalization, diagnostic and laboratory tests, surgeries, medical devices, prescriptions, etc.)
- Physiotherapy and physical rehabilitation
- Assistance with counseling and mental health
- In-home care or medical assistance around the clock for the disabled
- Home improvement expenses (installing guard rails, wheelchair ramps, etc.)
- Lost wages due to absences from work
- Costs for job retraining and education
- Pain and suffering (physical and emotional)
- Wrongful death (on behalf of a deceased loved one)
What is California’s Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Injury Claims?
As a victim of a truck accident, you must act swiftly to file your truck accident claim within California’s filing deadline or statute of limitations. A typical truck accident victim in California has two years from the date of a large truck accident or injury discovery to file a civil court claim for damages. In most cases, the courts will dismiss a claim for personal injury or wrongful death if it is not filed within that time frame.
Do not delay in taking action following a trucking accident. Contact our leading Los Angeles truck accidents attorney immediately to protect your legal rights.
Call Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorney Today to Discuss Your Case
Our skilled Los Angeles truck accidents attorney at Conlogue Law LLP is cognizant of the fact that coping with a catastrophic injury or an untimely death can be all-consuming. However, putting off contacting the appropriate law firm for too long could be detrimental to your truck accident case.
After a collision, the trucking company’s investigators and legal team will immediately begin building a defense. Long before a claim is filed, they will conduct their evaluation of the trucking accident and take any preventative measures necessary to minimize or avoid liability.
You should have an aggressive legal team, just like these companies. If you wait too long to protect yourself by hiring a Los Angeles CA truck accidents attorney, evidence may be lost, making it more difficult to establish who was at fault in an accident.
We do not squander any time building a solid case for our clients. The earlier a person contact our law office, the sooner we can begin defending their rights.